Follow us on Facebook

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

welcome lent 2012

It's Ash Wednesday which means that the lenten season for 2012 starts today.

By now (like others) I have a plan as to what I'll be giving up or what I'll be working on for the season. Most people give up random things for lent, but instead of really giving something up, I try to reduce one thing or improve another. I try not to see the season as a 'short period to do things right' but more of a 'second new year' giving me the chance to redirect or improve specific areas of my life.

I think my best 'redirection' was about 5 years ago when I was in 12th grade. At that time I had started to take my health a lot more seriously, because I was seeing how bad habits were affecting my grandparents and their health.


Generally I was very active, but in the latter years of high school my knee injury and hectic workload somewhat toned down my physical abilities a bit. As a result, I got lazy and started eating badly and by the time lent came around, I decided that I would make an effort to eat better and take better care of myself.

Since then I rarely drink juice and soda, I read labels more than before and I avoid food that's too processed. Now don't get me wrong....I still do indulge in those things I really don't need in my diet (because they taste so good) but I try to enjoy it all in moderation. I also got more interested in working out, even just for my cardio....although recently I seem to have lost interest....but I'll be back on my workout trend by next week. (I hope)

You're probably thinking now what the connection is between my healthy decision and religion...

To me it is one of the many ways that you can look at yourself as a vessel. Logically you wouldn't put a damaged or unfit vessel to carry cargo....you wouldn't give a weak horse a heavy load. It really is just the physical aspect of 'a healthy and holistic life' and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Look at it this way...the stronger and more fit you are is the more able you will be to carry the loads of life. God won't give you more than you can bear, but I think the stronger you are in both body and spirit is the easier the load will be to carry.

So yay for my healthy decisions!

But this year....I think I'll be taking on something a bit more.

I'm hoping to get to a point where I'm more confident in myself and I procrastinate less. I'm generally an organised person, but I've noticed that now that I'm out of school (and don't really have deadlines for assignments) procrastination has taken over.


What used to get done in a week, now takes me two or three weeks....and this doesn't work well when you hope to have a project all set for launch by a certain date.

To some extent I wonder if my procrastination is a matter of me questioning my abilities...or questioning whether or not I'll get the response I want to hear when the proposal I send out. lol

I sometimes just have horrible writer's block that totally demotivates me....but I'm on a mission now to find a way to curb it! The aim is to be more confident and have more faith in the proposals and grant applications I complete. I think too I'm trying to have more faith in the general population that they'll be more open to lending a hand to those in need.....let's see how that one works out.

The religious connection to this decision is really based on the saying - THE DEVIL FINDS WORK FOR IDLE HANDS.

The more I procrastinate is the more idle time I have. By eliminating some of that idle time, there shouldn't be any opportunity for the devil to give me any work....which is never a bad thing.

So, with that said I'll be restarting my things to do list today and trying to prioritise and stick to it. Look out for a post about curbing writer's block....as soon as I find a remedy I'll fill you in!

No comments:

Post a Comment