Follow us on Facebook

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

G: give and you shall receive

AlphabetChallenge

Another late AlphabetChallenge post...but I've been so busy that Monday seems to just come and go. (sorry guys)

So we'll start it here:
The degree of loving is measured by the degree of giving.
               - Edwin Louis Cole

I've always found it a bit interesting how willing persons are to promote and support a for-profit endeavour...but not a philanthropic endeavour.

It's honestly something I noticed ages ago, but as I get more involved in charity projects I unfortunately get to experience it even more often. While I can understand that some projects ask for large sums of money that you really may not have, I'm still taken aback by the fact that some persons are not even willing to give even a dollar or two minutes of their time.....

Now don't get me wrong....

I appreciate the fact that many persons have to work very hard in order to provide for their family's and/or their own basic needs. But that doesn't change the fact that many persons who have an overflowing cup, are unwilling to give even a minuscule portion of what they have to someone who needs so much.

...From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. (Luke 12:48)

I've been working alongside the Jamaica Association for the Deaf and I have had the chance to see first hand some of the many challenges that the Deaf schools have to face day to day. Although not in a position to give them all that they need, I have helped them to solicit sponsors for school projects and I have been working with them to organise awareness programmes.

Currently my projects include the BH Paints Give Back Competition where Danny Williams School for the Deaf can win a paint makeover from the company. The catch: persons on Facebook have to vote for the school and the school must be in the top 14 voted projects in order to win.

Outside of Danny Williams and the JAD, there are many associations, projects and persons who need assistance. In many cases all they need is a small donation from a lot of people. Whether it is your contacts, your talents and abilities, a small contribution, help with promotion or even your ideas.

With 365 days in a year, I know that giving back even once a quarter won't be that taxing on your finances/schedule....

I urge you all to give back to your community, to associations and service groups that work for good causes. Look for a cause related to the field you're in or an issue you want to advocate for. Make that call or send that email to find out how you can help them by giving just a little of what you have to those who have very little.

Feel free to ask me about my charity and how you can be a part of a programme that raises funds and advocates for special needs students in Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment