Follow us on Facebook

Friday, March 8, 2013

#ReadingChallenge: The Happiness Project

#ReadingChallenge

If this is your first time tuning in to my #ReadingChallenge, here's the skinny: For 2013 one of my personal challenges is to read one book a month. This has in turn become a blog challenge where I review each book I read and where necessary get some influences from each book.

For the month of February I checked out The Happiness Project by Grethen Rubin. Sounds like a good one right? I'll admit....the concept of the book is great! I mean who wouldn't want some help to make their life happier? The drawback though is that it's so filled with research that it somewhat detracts from the 'happiness' of it all.

The result of that drawback: I'm still not even half way through the book....and February is finito. I really don't think I chose the best time to read the book though. First of all it was the shortest month (if that makes any difference).

But, let me be fair....maybe it was my frame of mind that made it seem so hard to read. I had lots of work trying to get done and since I'm not a big reader, the research-like content and the tiny print (in the paperback copy I got) could very well be the reasons why I wasn't really excited to read about all the psychological and philosophical studies and explanations behind achieving happiness.

It then made me wonder if Rubin's definition of happiness was the same as mine. Consider that while she's married with kids and trying to balance all sorts of responsibilities within those circles; while I'm just here trying to get into grad school and figure out the next step in my life.

Just a thought really.....

My #ReadingChallenge rating for The Happiness Project (so far):

And this score is based on the fact that I'm not even done reading it yet. But I can definitely see where she's going and maybe later in the year I'll get back to it....hopefully soon.

If you give this book a read, comment on this post and let me know what you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment